Sweet potatoes are considered a superfood for your health. The orange color of the tuber is a cue that they’re antioxidant-packed. A cup of cooked sweet potato has a whopping 4 grams of fiber, and more than 3x the amount of beta-carotene that you need in a day. Due to the fiber and complex carbohdyrates in the potato, sweet potatoes have a lower glycemic index than regular white potatoes.
Based on the International Tables of Glycemix Index, reported in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, boiled and peeled sweet potatoes have a glycemic index value of 59 (which is considered a medium value) while new potatoes and Russet potatoes have a GI value of 78, which is considered high glycemic index. This is one of the reasons why sweet potatoes are included in virtually every diet plan while white potatoes are often listed as off-limits on some commercial diets.
If you want a great side-dish to go with poultry, try this healthy sweet potato casserole. We’ve nixed the marshmallows and used only wholesome clean ingredients, like honey, natural spices, and pecans.
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes (about 5-6 sweet potatoes), peeled and quartered
- 1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (divided into ½ teaspoon)
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 tsp ginger
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1Tablespoon packed dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- Put sweet potatoes in a saucepan covered with water. Cook over medium heath until tender; drain.
- Transfer the potatoes to a bowl and let cool slightly. Add the honey, salt, peper, vanilla, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, ginger and egg and whip with an electic mixer until desired consistency. Spread the sweet potato mixture in a baking sheet (lightly coated with oil).
- Mix the brown sugar, pecans and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in a bowl; sprinkle over the potatoes.
- Bake until hot and beginning to brown around the edges, 40 to 45 minutes.