You’ve probably bought or tried almond milk, but did you know you can also make a nutty, vegan-friendly “milk” from walnuts? While it’s not yet available in supermarkets, you can easily make your own. Here’s how:
- 1 cup California walnut halves, rinsed (about 4 ounces)
- 3 cups water, plus more for soaking the walnuts
- 1 tablespoon honey (optional)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of kosher salt
- Place walnuts in a bowl and fill with enough water to cover by about an inch. Cover and set aside at room temperature to soak at least 1 hour to 12 hours (this helps remove some of the tannins and makes them blend smoother).
- Drain walnuts and rinse thoroughly. Combine walnuts, water, honey, vanilla, and salt in the carafe of a blender then blend on low until very smooth, at least 2 minutes.
- Serve as is, or if you desire a smoother milk, pour through cheesecloth or a coffee filter to strain. (Will last up to 5 days in the refrigerator.)
Recipe adapted from California Walnut Commission.