- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons basil leaves, fresh, lightly packed, torn
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/4 pounds beets, red and golden, medium-size
- 3 cups baby arugula
- 1/2 cup California walnuts, coarsely chopped, toasted
- 2 ounces goat cheese (chevre), soft, crumbled
- Pepper, freshly ground, to taste
- To prepare dressing, puree all ingredients in a small blender or food processor. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Rinse beets and cut tops off if still attached. Wrap each in foil, leaving room for air to circulate. Place on a baking sheet and cook for about 50 minutes or until beets are tender when pierced with a sharp knife. Let cool, then slip off skins. Discard ends and slice beets 1/4-inch thick.
- Place arugula in a large shallow bowl and toss with half the dressing. Layer beets over arugula and drizzle with remaining dressing. Top with walnuts and cheese and season with pepper.