Looking for the best way to get great abs? Want a flat tummy? While you can’t crunch your way to a whittled waistline, you can eat right to get leaner for more defined abs.
Based on research about eating patterns associated with the least belly fat, here are some proven ways to help trim your middle.
Here are five ways to get fab abs:
- Reduce your overall calories so that you start to lose weight. Excess fat is quickly mobilized from the middle, so you’ll quickly see changes to your mid-section if you lose 5 or more pounds. Women generally need to get to 19-20% body fat to begin seeing their abdominal musculature.
- Reduce or eliminate nutrient-poor carbohydrates (read: candy, soda, baked goods). Simple sugars cause rapid rises in blood sugar and have been linked to excess belly fat.
- Keep saturated fat to recommended levels (7-10% of total calories) Again, saturated fat has been shown to be linked to larger waistlines, so eat more poly and monounsaturated fats in place of foods rich in sat fats.
- Eat more whole grains, fruits and vegetables. Diets rich in these foods are consistently associated with smaller waistlines.
- In addition to cardio, be sure to lift challenging weights to gain muscle mass. Increasing your overall lean body mass will help your body burn more calories–24/7–and that in turn, will help you reduce overall body fat.
Julie Upton, MS, RD