When I’m not training for CrossFit, I’m doing some type of strength and conditioning program at my local gym. I believe one of the best things women can do to stay fitter longer is to strength train. (And no, you won’t get HUGE, you’ll just get beautifully defined muscles!)
That’s why I’m so excited to write about one of my favorite go-to sites when I need some additional ideas on how to get specific muscles stronger, like my rotator cuff muscles, lats and traps. The site is also full of great nutrition articles, workouts, stretches and other mobility drills, supplements, recipes and much more. It’s one of the largest online fitness communities.
If getting more defined is on your to-do list for summer, here are some great ideas from Bodybuilding.com.
- Clear Out The Kitchen: As the old adage says, “If you hang around the barber shop long enough, sooner or later you’ll get a haircut.” The same goes for food in the kitchen. If there’s junk food is in the house, eventually it will be eaten. Clear out temptations and you will reach your goals.
- Increase Your Protein Intake: Protein rich foods help in a variety of ways — from decreasing hunger pangs, to reducing the chance of muscle mass loss, to revving up your metabolism. Whey protein is highly effective at stimulating muscle protein building and is rich in leucine, an amino acid considered to be the most important for staying lean.
- Combine Cardio Variations: The debate is never-ending, steady-state verses interval training. Which do you choose? Try both. This will allow you to reap all the benefits in one workout.
- Do At Least One Full-Body Workout Per Week: Full-body workouts jack up your metabolism more than single body part workouts, due to the large amount of muscle groups activated while training.
- Try Carbohydrate Staggering: Low carb dieting definitely speeds up progress for many people, but going too low for too long will have the opposite effect. The solution? Carb staggering. Have five low days, mixed in with two high days per week.
- Commit To Sleep: If you aren’t sleeping enough, your insulin sensitivity will decrease, which means that your hormones will be less effective at shuttling glucose from your blood into cells, where it belongs. This causes your body to pump out more insulin, which is also a fat-storage hormone.
- Drink One Glass Of Water Before Each Meal: This is a sneaky technique to try if you struggle to cut back on your food intake. Drinking water will help keep your metabolism going and fill you up, helping you not eat as many calories during your meal.
Follow these three steps to enter to win a 2 lb. container (SRP $22.00) of Cookies and Cream 100% Whey Protein Powder from Bodybuilding.com
- Like AFH on Facebook and sign up for our no-spam-ever e-newsletter (just once a week and you’ll get the inside scoop on our best freebies)
3. Tell us below what muscles/body part you’d like to get stronger for summer.
Extra credit is always given when you share an article from our site via your social media. All AFH terms and conditions apply. Entries will be accepted through Monday, May 19, 2014 at midnight EST.