Spicy Roasted Squash with Pistachios
Delicata and butternut squash are roasted together with warm spices and a bit of cayenne to heat things up. Crunchy pistachios and maple syrup are just the right additions for texture and sweetness.
Prep: 18 minutes / Time to Table: 38 minutes / Serves: 8 (about 10 pieces of squash/person; about a cup/person)
1 ½ pounds butternut squash (4 ½ cups prepped)
2 ½ pounds delicata squash
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground allspice
¼ teaspoon ground cayenne
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
½ cup chopped pistachios
2 tablespoons maple syrup
¼ cup pomegranate arils
2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Heat oven to 425°F. Line two baking sheets with aluminum foil.
- Peel and seed butternut squash. Cut in half lengthwise and slice into ½ inch thick pieces. Cut in half again for quarters.
- Cut delicata in half lengthwise and seed. Cut into ½ inch thick slices. Combine all the squash in a large mixing bowl.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon, allspice, cayenne and salt over the squash. Mix thoroughly.
- Melt the butter and stir into the olive oil. Drizzle over the spiced squash and mix thoroughly.
- Transfer the squash to the baking sheets, arranging in a single layer. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Stir and flip squash. Sprinkle with pistachios and drizzle with maple syrup. Bake another 5 to 7 minutes until pistachios are just toasted. Remove from the oven.
- Arrange on a serving platter and sprinkle pomegranate arils over the squash. Garnish with chopped parsley.